SPAF Music 2023 Programme!
SPAF MUSIC 2023
ONLINE Entries Zoom Sessions Registration - [Z1] Rock & Pop / [Z2] Classical
NEW! Live ZOOM meeting view for certain sessions. REGISTER to view the sessions live via ZOOM meetings.
NOTES for participants and parents:
- Please check through the latest SPAF Programme above and note the VENUE location, session's timing and the specific session's ID - eg. [A1] or [B2] etc...
- Performers Dress Code - Boys (shirt, pants & covered shoes) and Girls (dress, blouse, skirt & covered shoes)
- Audience Dress Code - Smart Casual
- Please plan to arrive at the venue at least 30 minutes earlier to allow time for registration and any traffic delays.
- IMPORTANT! All performers upon registration must provide a set of photocopy of the score for the adjudicator. (non-returnable)
- IMPORTANT! COPYRIGHT Law - All performers must either show the original score/book or receipt of proof of purchase for digital download.
- Extra Observer Pass may be purchased at the registration point @ S$10 each. Please prepare EXACT cash or via PAYNOW to MS Works Pte Ltd [UEN No 201512449Z]
- Other points to note:
- Strictly no video/photo taking during any performances.
- Do bring along a jacket as the venue may be cold.
- Any audience may be requested to leave if they cause disruption to the progress of the festival.
See you soon! All the best to all the performers! Most importantly, ENJOY SPAF and have fun!
Stand a chance to win E-Vouchers at www.msworks.store!
Simply post your festival photos on Facebook and Tag #SPAFMUSIC and #SingaporePerformingArtsFestival to enter!
SPAF MUSIC 2023 - ONLINE & Face-to-Face are both Offered!
For all Indonesia Entries and Interests, please contact our Indonesia partner:
ANDY UJANG / WA : +62 818982558 / FIMO (Federation of International Music Organizer) / IG @fimointernational / FIMO Hotline : +62 812-1062-3212
SPAF aims to inspire, so all performers leave with a sense of achievement! Its purpose is to open up the world of performing arts to students, encouraging them to develop a range of communication and interpersonal skills through an interactive environment.
Categories - Piano / Guitar / Violin Solo and Open Class
Specifically for ONLINE Entry Recording - Please Read Carefully
Recording your performance - Some basic requirements to note:
- Quiet Space / Environment with ample lighting.
- A simple video recorder - most recent mobile phones should be adequate.
- The height of the Camera/Phone should be about in line with the eye level of the performer.
- The Full height of the performer should be seen.
- The video recording should be taken from a suitable angle, from the usual Adjudicator or Audience viewpoint. Some popular examples:
- Piano & Keyboard Instruments: You should film your performance from the side so that the keys, your face and both hands (and most if not all of the notes on the keyboard) are visible.
- Violin and Viola: You should film your performance from the right-hand side to give a clear view of your bowing arm, and with your face, hands and all of your instruments in the shot. Position your music stand so that the view is not obscured.
- Video Recording should be done in ONE complete continuous take.
- Video Submission must be submitted by 24 JULY 2023 (Entry Deadline), ONLY via a Youtube video link to be provided within the ONLINE entry form.
- COPY of SCORE – a scanned copy of the SCORE (in PDF) to be Whatsapp to 96513538. Common Mobile apps such as CamScanner (iOS & Android) can be used to easily create the SCORE in PDF. Please rename PDF to the Name of Participant (performer).
- You may wish to refer to a useful document from [TRINITY COLLEGE LONDON] regarding recording your performance.
HOW IS THE FESTIVAL CONDUCTED?
Nicholas Keyworth has travelled to over 50 countries and is constantly inspired by their individual history, architecture, culture, people, wildlife, and artistic diversity. The former Chief Examiner for Music at Trinity College London, Nicholas was at the forefront of international arts assessment in classical, jazz and popular music. He appeared on a series exploring exam music repertoire for BBC Radio 3 as well as travelling internationally giving talks and presentations relating to music assessments.
In 2012 he developed and launched the successful Trinity Rock & Pop exams at Trinity in collaboration with Faber Music and Peters Edition. As a teacher, he has worked as Director of Music in various schools and as an educational advisor on national music curriculums, classroom planning and mentoring teachers and students. [Full Biog]
UNA LAUW - (President - Suzuki Talent Education Association Singapore)
At 3½, Una Lauw learned to play the violin from her father, S.C. Lauw, who with his wife, belongs to the only pioneer group of Singaporean Suzuki Teachers trained by Dr Shinichi Suzuki. Una completed the Suzuki Book 8 at 10, and Grade 8 exams at 11. She continued her violin studies with Ms Vivien Goh, Mr Foo Say-Ming, Mr Ng Yu-Ying. She had masterclasses with Ms Takako Nishizaki, Mr Ronald Woodcock, Mr Chua Lik Wuk, Mr Yasuki Nakamura, and Professor Lan Ku Chen. She also holds a certification in violin performance at all three diploma levels from the Trinity College of Music: ATCL, LTCL & FTCL.Una started to give violin lessons at 16 and has more than 30 years of teaching under her belt now.
She strongly believes in the Suzuki Method Philosophy, that “Every Child Can Learn” and that students should be nurtured with love. She has trained under various Suzuki trainers (Mr Yasuki Nakamura, Dr Lan Ku Chen, Prof. Carmencita Arambulo, Ms Chen Wan-Tsai, and Mr Edward Kreitman) since 1995. She received her full Suzuki Violin Teaching Certification in 2005 and still does review training regularly to improve her teaching skills and playing techniques. She is a trained Level 3 Suzuki Early Childhood Education teacher and has done Suzuki piano training out of interest. She has also done courses for Dalcroze Education.
In her interest to understand her young students better, she has also completed 2 diplomas – Childcare & Early Learning and Child Psychology. [Full Biog]
Vivien Ngo began her music career with a PSC-ABRSM scholarship awarded on the strength of her LRSM Diploma.
Her 3 years studying at the Royal College of Music [London] saw her winning numerous prizes including the Ellen Marie Curtis Prize, Cornelius Fischer Prize and gold medals at several festivals. On her return to Singapore, she served with the Ministry of Education and was one of the pioneer teachers of the Music Elective Programme.
She continued to be actively performing solo concerts and accompanying local and foreign artistes. Vivien has also been an instrumental staff member of the LaSalle College of the Arts and for several years, an instrumental teacher at the National Institute of Education.
She is a keen supporter of the Singapore Performing Arts Festival, having both sent many of her students as participants as well as serving as Adjudicator on a few occasions. [Full Biog]
Shirley has a passionate interest in both Western Classical and Chinese traditional music since young. Her mother was her first piano teacher and she was sent for professional training later on under the guidance of Ms. Hew Siew Chin, Ms. Lim Soon Lee, Ms. Wong Siew Ngan, Ms. Magie Foo and eventually graduated with a Master in Music from University of Tasmania, Australia, majoring in Piano performance under the tutelage of Ms. Beryl Sedivka.
Since young, Shirley has been actively involved in various concerts and performances with western and chinese orchestras as a pianist, violinist and on the Er-hu (chinese violin) in Malaysia and Australia. Apart from playing in many orchestras, she also performed as a soloist and also actively participated in musical performances in various genres. Her flexibility in playing both western and chinese instruments enables her to work well as an accompanist for many instrumental soloists. [Full Biog]
KONG KAR MUN
Kar Mun Kong, a native of Perak, Malaysia studied at University of Malaya under the tutelage of Miss Choi Hee-Jung. Kar Mun was awarded a Bachelor of Performing Arts (Music) with first-class honours. Her passion towards music led her to continue her postgraduate studies and had been offered scholarships to pursue postgraduate studies in both the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama and Birmingham Conservatoire. Kar Mun chose to continue her postgraduate in the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama and completed her Master Degree under scholarship majoring in Piano Accompaniment at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, UK, studying under Zoe Smith and Benjamin Frith. [Full Biog]
Bernard began playing the guitar during the kampong days in the 60s.
In 1975, he joined the National Theatre and began formal music learning. Joined Singapore Young Musician's Society in 1976. Instruments learnt include violin and chronomantic harmonica. But he was deeply attracted to the classical guitar and mainly inspired by the Flamenco guitarist Manita De Plata, classical guitarist Alirio Diaz and Jullian Bream at that time.
Bernard have participated in many concert performances organised by the National Theatre.
In 1978, was the year that he began conducting guitar lessons at community centres and music schools such as simon music school and Barrock music school, to name a few. [Full Biog]
DR. VICKY GOON
She has been trained as a professional pianist in London and Milan, Italy. After graduating from the Royal Academy of Music London, she has made several recordings/broadcasts. She has also performed in the UK, Singapore, Malaysia and Chicago (USA).
Vicky has won prizes in London and has a PhD in Music. She was awarded with Diplomas in Piano Performances (LRSM, FLCM, Professional Certificate of Royal Academy of Music London)
Apart from teaching at KAWAI Music School for 2 decades, she enjoys watching basketball games, Olympic Sports, cooking shows as well as star-gazing.
(Important NOTE: All Violin Participants shall need to engage their own accompanist)
Non-Examination Pieces are acceptable too. Participants shall be responsible for matching the level (Grade) of the pieces.
SPAF needs your support!
SPAF wants YOU! - Be a Volunteer and help out at SPAF events!
Be a Friend of SPAF!
LIKE and FOLLOW US
Need further information or clarification?