Singapore Performing Arts Festival 2013
Open Up the World of SPEECH & COMMUNICATION to ALL!
Registration Closing Date: 15 April 2013
Event Date: 12, 17 to 19 MAY 2013
SPAF aims to inspire, so all performers leave with a sense of achievement! Its purpose is to open up the window of performing arts to students, encouraging them to develop a range of communication and interpersonal skills through an interactive environment.
Watch the Videos about SPAF on our Facebook fan page! Please 'Like' Us!
For Mobile user, please use your facebook mobile app to search for "SPAF" page, the video is on the wall post.
(Sorry for the inconvenience.)
The Third Singapore Performing Arts Festival (SPAF) will be held on May 12th, 17th to 19th, 2013. Since the Ministry of Education and government have embraced the significance of drama as part of the education process in Singapore, there has been an increasing demand for drama activities amongst schools, parents and students. This event is specially tailored to the Primary and Secondary school students in Singapore.
SPAF is an Associate Member of The British and International Federation of Festivals of which Her Majesty the Queen is Patron. By being recognised by the British and International Federation of Festivals, Singapore will join not only the 300+ festivals in the UK but also the festivals in Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA.
Preparing for and participation in a Festival involves young people in group activity and individual achievement - every skill gained in preparing for and giving a performance is a valuable life skill which will be used in job interviews, in the workplace, in leisure activities and in social and interpersonal relationships throughout life.
Most will not make their career in the Arts but will become that educated audience who will keep the arts alive in the coming years. However the festival movement was where many famous names began their career, Julian Lloyd Webber, Maureen Lipman, Wayne Sleep, Dame Janet Baker, & Paul Scofield to name a few!
The adjudicator will be a certified Adjudicator of The British and International Federation of Festivals, a practicing professional who will not only make a skilled judgement, but who will also seek to inspire greater appreciation of the work being performed and remarks made in public and on the written report will evaluate and encourage the performers.
OVERVIEW OF SPAF (Excerpts from Information Booklet)
Who should Join?
- Just about ANYONE! who is interested in improving critical life skills such as:
- Effective Communication
- Confidence in presentation before an audience
- EVERYONE! This is the perfect festival to experience Speech & Drama whether you have little or no previous experience.
- From age 6 upwards.
What will each participant get?
- A written report.
- A certificate of participation for achievement of above 75 marks.
How will the festival be conducted?
- Individual and Group Participants will be allocated classes based on their age.
- Individual entry Classes will be conducted in a hall that can seat about 50.
- Group entry Classes will be conducted in a school hall.
- Group size will be from 6 to a max of 12 participants.
- Each Class will last about an Hour depending on the age group and class type/size.
- During each class:
- Participants will take turns to perform in the order predetermined by the organiser.
- The adjudicator will evaluate their performance on a report form, which will be presented to the respective participants at the end of each class.
- After all the participants have presented their work, the adjudicator will conduct a mini master-class style to comment on the overall performance of the class as a whole.
- Certificates will be presented to all participants, with 3rd, 2nd and 1st placings acknowledged.
Download SPAF 2013 Entry Forms and Syllabus Booklet (Right-Click and select save file as...)
Download 2013 Brochure (Right-Click and select save file as...)
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I have no prior experience in Speech & Drama, is SPAF suitable for me?
A: YES! Although we are a professional organization our aim is to attract Newcomers. Competitors, teachers and parents with little or no experience will still be able to participate in, and benefit from, involvement in SPAF!
Q: Is SPAF’s concept something new and not tested before?
A: On the contrary, SPAF is associated to The British & International Federation of Festivals, with over 300 associated festivals worldwide and attracted over ONE Million performers reaching an audience of around 5 million in 2010.
Q: We already have many activities for Performing Arts, why should we consider SPAF?
A: One of SPAF’s main benefits is the written and verbal educational feedback provided by the adjudicator. Performers will not only have a chance to perform, but will able to improve themselves through the adjudicator’s feedback and master class.
SPAF needs your support!
SPAF wants YOU! - Be a Volunteer and help out at SPAF events!
Be a Friend of SPAF!